Privacy is about trust, and at Citizens & Northern Bank (C&N), your trust is our most valued asset. We understand that your personal financial information is your private property, and we pledge to safeguard this sensitive and confidential information.
We want you to know that we collect, retain, and use your confidential information only when we believe it will be useful in providing you with a broad range of financial products and services as effectively and conveniently as possible. We are providing you with this policy in compliance with federal law and to make you comfortable in understanding what information we collect and how we use it.
What Information We Collect From You
In order to provide you with the products and services you need, we may collect "nonpublic personal information" about you. This information, which we consider your private property, may include:
- Information we receive from you on account applications and other forms, including identifying information such as address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, and credit information such as income and employment.
- Information obtained through your transactions and relationships with us, our affiliates, or others.
- Investment and financial service information such as tax, insurance, and financial objective information.
- Information we receive from third parties such as credit bureaus and checking account reporting agencies.
What Information We Share With Others
- We do not share your personal information with anyone, except as permitted by law.
- We do not sell or distribute your personal information to other parties for telemarketing purposes.
- We may share information about our experiences or transactions with you or your account, such as your account balance and your payment history with us, with companies related to us by common control or ownership ("affiliates"). This sharing enables us to provide you with the products and services you deserve.
- In order to provide you with the best investment and insurance products available, we may work with one or more other financial institutions to jointly offer, endorse, or sponsor a financial product or service ("Joint Marketing Agreement"). We may share nonpublic personal information with these third party service companies, but shall limit that information to identification, transaction, and experience information. These companies contractually agree to maintain the confidentiality and security of your information, and they can only use it for the specific purpose we identify.
- We may share nonpublic personal information about you with other third parties in certain circumstances. For example, we may disclose nonpublic personal information about you to third parties who assist us in servicing your loan or account with us, to comply with state or federal laws and regulations, to protect C&N from fraud, to complete banking transactions or transfers, or to credit bureaus and checking account reporting agencies to verify the existence and condition of your account.
- If you decide to close your account(s) or become an inactive customer, we will continue to adhere to the privacy policies and practices described in this notice.
Protecting Your Private Property
We maintain strict information security systems to protect your confidential information. We limit access to your personal and account information to those employees who need to know that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your personal financial information.
What if C&N Changes The Way We Share Information?
These Privacy Disclosures do not create a contract. From time to time, we may amend or change the terms of these disclosures. In that event, please understand that we will provide you with a revised Privacy Notice and opportunity to exercise any opt out rights that may apply.
Internal Confidentiality Policy
C&N employees are responsible for adhering to strict confidentiality standards that are designed to protect your personal and financial information. This code of conduct ensures your privacy by controlling access to your information and restricting use of it. Confidentiality standards and information access controls are regularly reviewed and updated to ensure your privacy.
Children's Online Privacy Protection
The 1998 Children's Online Privacy Protection Act established rules for web site operators to make sure that kid's privacy is protected. We do not collect personal identifying information or any contact information from children under the age 13. We do not distribute to third parties any personal identifying information about children who visit our sites. We recognize that protecting children's identities and privacy online is important and that the responsibility to do so rests with both the online industry and with parents.
Web Site Information Security
Visitors to the C&N Web sites remain anonymous. We do not collect identifying information about visitors to our sites. We may use standard software to collect non-identifying information about our visitors, such as:
- Date and time our site was accessed
- IP address (A numeric address given to servers connected to the Internet)
- Web browser used
- City, State, and Country
C&N uses this information to create summary statistics and to determine the level of interest in information available on our site. Visitors may elect to provide us with personal information using bank supplied information forms or via e-mail. This information is used internally, as appropriate, to handle the sender's request. It is not disseminated or sold to unaffiliated organizations. Remember, the use of e-mail is not necessarily secure from access by unintended third parties. We caution clients not to send confidential information in e-mail messages. We also advise not to include complete social security or account numbers in e-mail messages.
Access to your account information is protected by a login process that involves a personal password. You may change your password by following the instructions at the login process. It is strongly recommended that you do not share this password with anyone.
Some areas of our Web site may use a "cookie" temporarily stored in the visitor's computer memory (RAM) to allow the web server to log the pages you use within the site and determine if you have visited the site before.
One component of our on-line security system is our Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption. When you visit pages requesting or presenting sensitive financial or personal information, we will encrypt the data to prevent third parties from accessing it in transit. (Look for the padlock icon on your browser.) We use 128-bit encryption for a high level of security.
Because of our security system, you are required to use a browser that supports 128-bit encryption if you wish to take full advantage of e-z Banking. Our system currently requires Netscape version 4.0+ or Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4.0+.
To ensure the security of your account information, we use a system involving Digital Identification Certificates from VeriSign. Using today's strongest cryptographic techniques, VeriSign Site Seal provides a trusted means of verifying the identity of each party in an electronic transmission. Through Digital ID's you can be assured that you are actually transacting with Citizens & Northern when you transmit personal or financial information to us through our Web site.
We do not use or disclose health or medical information about you except at your express instructions and as necessary to process insurance applications and claims or as otherwise required or permitted by law. In addition, we do not share health or medical information with anyone to market non-insurance products or make credit decisions.
Accuracy of Information
We make every effort to maintain accurate, current and complete records of financial information about you in accordance with reasonable and prudent standards. When we learn of inaccuracies, we promptly make corrections. If you believe we have incorrectly reported information about you or your account to a credit bureau, please notify us promptly. Your notice to us should be in writing and include your complete name, current address, Social Security number, telephone number, account number, the specific item of dispute and the reason you believe the information we reported was inaccurate. Please send your notice to us by separate correspondence addressed to: Compliance Officer, Citizens & Northern Bank, 90-92 Main Street, Wellsboro, PA 16901, or email us at email@example.com for assistance.
Our Commitment to Information Security
Citizens & Northern Bank is committed to protecting your privacy. Your trust is our most valued asset. We will continue to safeguard your information and comply with all regulations and laws related to privacy and will continue to assess new technology to protect your interests.
If you have any questions about privacy and information security, please email Citizens & Northern's Chief Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.