Citizens & Northern Bank has been a local, independent community bank since 1864. From the very beginning, C&N has been committed to the businesses and families in our local communities. C&N has been instrumental in helping those communities thrive by providing needed funding for growth and contributing to local charities which share C&N’s mission to enhance the lives of our neighbors in the communities we serve.
Citizens & Northern Bank was formed October 1, 1971 following the consolidation of Northern National Bank of Wellsboro and Citizens National Bank of Towanda.
NORTHERN NATIONAL BANK
Northern National Bank, organized in 1864 as the First National Bank of Wellsborough, was the 328th national bank chartered under the laws of the United States. Until March of 1961, it operated just one office in Wellsboro, but in that month it opened its first branch office in Tioga.
In December of 1964, the bank purchased the assets of three banks, including Farmers National Bank of Liberty, the Pattison National Bank of Elkland and the First National Bank of Knoxville. The name was changed to the Northern National Bank and Trust Company.
CITIZENS NATIONAL BANK
The Citizens National Bank received its charter in 1876 and operated out of rented quarters until its present brick building was constructed in 1887. A branch office was opened in Wysox in 1959 and the Troy office was opened in June of 1971.
CITIZENS & NORTHERN BANK
Since the consolidation in 1971, C&N has grown significantly. Following are milestones in our growth:
- C&N opens the Monroeton Branch office
- C&N merges with the First National Bank of Ralston
- C&N merges with the Sullivan County National Bank
- C&N merges with the Farmers National Bank of Athens
- C&N merges with the First National Bank of East Smithfield
- Mansfield branch opens
- Muncy office opens
- Williamsport office opens
- South Williamsport branch opens
- Jersey Shore branch opens
- C&N merges with Canisteo Valley Corp. (First State Bank)
- Old Lycoming office opens
- C&N administration building opens
- C&N merges with Citizens Bancorp, Inc. (Citizens Trust Company)
- Citizens Trust Company’s name changed to Citizens & Northern Bank
- First State Bank name changes to Citizens & Northern Bank