Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
What you need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees:
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have standard overdraft practices that may come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account and an overdraft line of credit, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
This notice explains our standard overdraft practices.
What are the standard overdraft practices that may come with my account?
If you qualify, we will establish an overdraft limit on your checking account. As long as you maintain your account in good standing, the bank may honor items up to the Overdraft Privilege limit on your account. The type of checking account you open determines the amount of your overdraft privilege limit.
We authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number.
- Automatic bill payments.
We will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you ask us to (see below):
- ATM transactions.
- Everyday debit card transactions.
While the bank has the discretion to pay overdrafts on accounts in good standing, we reserve the right and discretion to cease paying overdrafts at any time without prior notice of reason or cause.
What fees will I be charged if Citizens & Northern pays my overdraft?
Under our standard overdraft practices:
- For consumer accounts, we will charge you a fee of $35 each time we pay an overdraft item. We will charge you for a maximum of 6 items per day and for a maximum total charge of $210 per day.
- For municipal and business accounts, we will charge you a fee of $35 each time we pay an overdraft items with no limit on the amount of charges per day.
- Also, beginning on the sixth calendar day after the initial overdraft, we may charge an additional $5 per day Consecutive Days OD fee until the account is brought to a positive balance. Fees and other charges debited to your account resulting in an overdrawn balance may cause Consecutive Days OD fees.
If you use the Overdraft Privilege program, you must bring your account balance to a positive balance within a 30-day time period for a minimum period of 24 hours. If multiple items are presented against your account on the same day, each item will be assessed a fee. Fees for overdraft privilege are included in the overdraft privilege limit.
What if I want Citizens & Northern to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions call us toll-free at 1-877-838-2517, contact any branch office, complete and mail the form below to your local branch office or complete the form below and submit online.
To revoke your prior opt-in for ATM and everyday debit card transactions, please CLICK HERE.